Date and location
March 3, 2017
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Electric Salon with Derek Holzer and Jeroen VandesandeEventMarch 3, 2017
SoundBoxes are small, primitive electro-acoustic instruments built from a wooden box, a speaker, a small audio amplifier and a contact microphone. Discover the hidden sonic qualities of objects from our everyday world in this hands-on workshop, combining the arts of electronics, noise, sculpture and collage.
SoundBoxes can create a variety of drone and reverb-type sounds through feedback between the speaker and microphone, as seen in this video. Or they can bring out the hidden sounds found within everyday objects as seen in this video. They also have small touchpoints which can be used to produce a variety of “circuit bending” sounds.
10.00 - 12.00 registration, introduction and workshop
13.00 - 14.00 lunch provided in-house
14.00 - 16.00 workshop continues
16.00 - 17.00 discussion, presentation
- This 5 hour workshop does not require any previous knowledge of electronics, only an interest and a curiosity in both sound and instrument-building.
- A cigar box, speaker, 9V battery, contact microphone and all parts for the circuit will be provided.
- Participants may also wish to bring their own found objects and images to create a unique audiovisual cabinet of curiosities. Some guitar effect pedals can also make the box more interesting.
- Further information and images can be found here.
- A video about what to expect can be found here.
The workshop is organised in collaboration with Luca School of Arts Ghent and RITCS.
About the artists
Derek Holzer (1972) is an American instrument builder and sound artist based in Helsinki FI & Berlin DE, whose current interests include DIY analog electronics, the relationship between sound + space, media archaeology and the meeting points of electroacoustic, noise, improv and extreme music. He has performed live, taught workshops and created scores of unique instruments and installations since 2002 across Europe, North and South America, and New Zealand.
Jeroen Vandesande (1986, Turnhout, Belgium) completed his master studies at the Ghent School of Fine Arts Sint Lucas and has been active as a sound artist since 2004. Besides giving performances he also creates sound installations and regularly works together with musicians and performers. Jeroen has performed for audiences in several art centres and concert halls in cities such as Ghent, Brussels, Kortrijk, Hasselt, Eindhoven (NL), Utrecht (NL), Maastricht (NL), Leeuwarden (NL), Osnabrück (D), Berlin (D) and Washington DC (US).
Electric Salons at Orpheus are open for all and free to join, but registration is required.