Date and location
from April 23, 2009 until April 24, 2009
The Musician's Act of CreationEventfrom April 23, 2009 until April 24, 2009
ORCiM Seminar April 2009
The two-day international seminar on the musician´s act of creation has the aim to map musical creativity as a space having its own set of characteristics within a broader and more general field of creativity. We will zoom in on moments of musical creation, invention, discovery, conception, constructs, imagination, etc.
Although creativity of some kind is present in even the most mundane situations (such as shopping, cooking, plumbing ...), more sophisticated expressions of it are often associated with the fields of art and literature. Within these fields, creativity has acquired the status of an enigmatic, unknowable process that ultimately leads to innovation and creation of valuable works of art.
Particular interests include:
- the different modes of creative expression in music (ranging from interpretation to composition and improvisation)
- creative strategies in musical practice (innovative strategies but also the documentation and elucidation of historical ones)
- creativity as a tool in artistic research projects (research as an ‘original’ contribution to knowledge and understanding)
- different fields of creative action in music (sound, body, form, etc.)
- artistic projects that focus on creativity as a field of action.
Kathleen Coessens, Darla Crispin, Hendrik Vanden Abeele and Joost Vanmaele