NEW DEADLINE Call for proposals: Orpheus Doctoral Conference 2022July 12, 2022
Serendipity - The Unsought Discovery
Serendipity is the happy accident - finding B while searching for A. It allows us to discover value in the unexpected while looking for something else entirely.
Orpheus Doctoral Conference 2022
"Serendipity - The Unsought Discovery"
16 November 2022
NEW Deadline for proposals: 8 September 2022
While notions of emergence, chance and indeterminacy have been the topic of numerous artistic research and musicological investigations, serendipity within the arts and specifically in music remains largely unexplored. This conference aims to enquire about serendipity in the creative practice of musicians, including, but not limited to, interpretation, composition, curating a program and choosing musical partners.
Above all, the conference questions the inherent paradox: is it possible to prepare for the unexpected? How can we optimize conditions in our musical practice in order to allow for the unexpected to emerge?
Among different scholarly perspectives, the conference welcomes artistic research especially.
- Marije Baalman (freelance artist and member of iii - instrument inventors initiative, The Hague, The Netherlands)
- Michiel Braam (Head of the Jazz & Pop Department at ArtEZ, Arnhem, The Netherlands)
- Iwan Wopereis (Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Open University of the Netherlands)
- Magno Caliman - Orpheus Institute, LUCA School of Arts, KU Leuven
- Rik Cornelissen - Orpheus Institute, LUCA School of Arts, KU Leuven, ArtEZ University of the Arts
- Ivana Jelača - LUCA School of Arts, KU Leuven
- Taum Karni - The Academy of Creative and Performing Arts (ACPA) at Leiden University
Call for submissions
We invite proposals for presentations of any kind, from scholarly papers to lecture-recitals. All sessions will consist of twenty-minute presentations with ten minutes of discussion. The conference language is English.
Please fill out the registration form by September 8th 2022.
Speakers will be notified by September 15th, 2022 at the latest.
The full program will be announced by the end of October. Registration for the event itself will then also be possible on this website. Participation is free of charge for presenters and Orpheus Institute-associated researchers. A fee of €30 is required for auditors. Lunch and refreshments is provided. The conference will be held in person at Orpheus Institute, Gent, Belgium. More information will follow soon.
Enquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org